Monday, April 27, 2009

A Final Reflection

If you are reading this you are either:
1. Jay
2. Future BorderBeat journalists
3. My mother

So, I hope you enjoy this reflection/tips for the future.

Looking back on this past semester and reflecting on the accomplishments of this BorderBeat staff, I am truly amazed at the progress we have made. We entered as 18 different students, all with different expectations for this capstone, and are leaving as multimedia journalists.

I was one of the editors-in-chief this semester, and had the unique experience of dealing with a mid-semester co-editor-in-chief switch. It was beneficial and has made the class run smoother. There have been deadlines, editing chains, and AMAZING stories written about so many different topics.

I've used this blog as a way to creatively explore the things most passionate to me through the lens of the US - Mexico border. I've always enjoyed entertainment and have LOVED discovering things like: a Hispanic artist with secrets, conjunto music, El Parador, and the Hobart Shakespeareans.

My favorite part of this class has been learning all of the wonderful multimedia skills that will be transferable to other jobs (if I find a job, post graduation). I'm able to produce great stories using Soundslides, Final Cut, Audacity, and learning html code to keep the Web site functional. If you, as a journalist, are serious about being able to function in this global and technological world than you NEED to learn these skills. Having Jay there to allow the creative freedom to report on the stories that you care about has been really rewarding.

If you are a future BorderBeat reporter here are a few tips for success:
1. Take the creative liberty to explore stories that you want to pursue
2. If you have strong editing skills then join the editing team
3. Take the time in the beginning of the semester to plan a couple of stories so that you aren't struggling at the end to get the grade you want.
4. Cherish any help John DeDios will give you (if he is still around)
5. Take the time to really learn any of the multimedia tools that you can because they are a necessity.

Hope this blog has helped you, because it is my last one for the class and reflecting has really helped me.

Peace out,
Alex

1 comment: