Sunday, April 5, 2009

Muy Comico

This week I wanted to write about something dear to my own interests…comedy. I perform weekly improv comedy shows and I know that I incorporate my cultural roots into my comedic routines and that made me wonder about other comedians and how important their cultural identity is to their comedic repertoire.

I began thinking about popular comedians who have used their race or ethnicity to incite laughter. While there are the obvious choices like Richard Pryor and Jerry Seinfeld, I had trouble searching my own brain for a list of popular Latino comics. Online I was able to find a specific list of Latino comedians…but I personally was unable to identify more than two. The most popular Latino/Hispanic comedians I could identify are George Lopez and Carlos Mencia…one of these men I respect, the other I think is a poor excuse for a comedian.

It interests me as to the nature of these two men’s inspiration for material. Both have drawn upon their cultural backgrounds for their routines but both have used their heritage for laughs in different ways. Both have had television shows (The George Lopez Show and Mind of Mencia) which have helped to launch their careers and both have been in physical altercations about the alleged stealing of Lopez’s jokes by Mencia. With all of that put to the side, it interests me to see the differences in comedic styles. WARNING - the following clips may have some adult language and themes.

Here is a clip of George Lopez:



And now here is Carlos Mencia:



Lopez’s comedy is based on his childhood and his experiences being raised in a Mexican-American community while Mencia often makes jokes about political issues including things about race, culture, and social class. I find it interesting that both men use their heritage in different ways to achieve the same purposes. Whether it is through popularity or scandal, these men are increasing their name in the comedic community and thereby raising the prominence of Hispanic comedy.

Because of the contributions of Mencia and Lopez there are things like “The Original Latin Kings of Comedy” film and Latino Comedy tours. They help pave the way for other Latino comedians like Gabriel Iglesias and Rudy Moreno. Ultimately, all Hispanic and Latino/a comedians work together to increase the message that the trials and tribulations of their people and culture are just as valid as any other race. Not to mention funny too.

No comments:

Post a Comment